Position: Communications Officer
Reports to: Director of Communications and Outreach
Type: Fulltime, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Date: August 2019
The Communications Officer assists the Director of Communications and Outreach in supporting QFI’s mission and goals through participating in the overall execution of communication strategy. This work includes messaging on a variety of outreach platforms, in particular the drafting and development of content for internal and external communication including social media.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Work closely with communications staff on a wide range of subjects like developing and publishing content for digital and conventional media platforms.
- Participate in planning for and implementation of QFI communications events.
- Develop, manage and implement to completion special projects, including but not limited to preparing for media interviews, media and social media engagements, video recordings and social media content.
- Research social media opportunities for all platforms and provide regular updates and metrics on performance and reception.
- Produce and oversee an editorial calendar of content that aligns with QFI’s overall strategic and communication priorities.
- Manage and control QFI’s social media communities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong writing and editing skills, with a creative and lively use of English language.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute packaging of content across QFI channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram).
- Ability to maintain a content calendar; research, develop and post original curated content; engage with desired influencers and brands.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Knowledge of the Arab world and Arab culture.
- Demonstrated ability to provide rapid response to ad hoc issues.
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and team skills.
- Familiarity with and ability to use Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, HTML, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five (5) years of related experience, in Communications, Public Affairs, Journalism in non-profit environment.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience and proven social media skills including but not limited to content planning and creation and engagement in a non-profit environment.
- Mostly sedentary
- 20% travel required (international and domestic)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and two (2) writing samples to the QFI Human Resources Department with the subject line “Comms Officer”. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.