Position: Program Officer
Reports to: Director of Programs
Type: Fulltime, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Date: May 2019
The Program Officer works closely with the Director of Programs to administer and support a portfolio of grants and programs related to our three main program areas: Arabic Language, Arab Societies and Cultures, and Connected Communities. The Program Officer is responsible for the announcement, application, review, award, monitoring, and closing processes of certain grant programs. The Program Officer also oversees programmatic activities, working in an efficient and time-sensitive manner and interacting with a range of consultants and contractors. The Program Officer supports the Programs team by performing a wide range of key administrative tasks, including event organization, research, and working on QFI’s grants database.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Oversee, support and participate in all facets of the grants management life-cycle including, but not limited to:
- Draft and disseminate requests for proposal
- Screen proposals for technical correctness, review, and make award recommendations
- Process and track proposals and application documents
- Prepare and issue grant agreements and process grant payments
- Follow up on grant-related issues throughout grant’s duration
- Collect and review grant reports
- Develop and implement programs for QFI beneficiaries, including but not limited to:
- Develop ideas for programs in coordination with staff, consultants & advisors and develop implementation plans
- Coordinate programs and serve as primary point of contact for participants and grantees
- Direct and work with consultants, contractors, and advisors, including drafting contracts and processing invoices
- Monitor programs, track impact, gather data for monitoring and evaluation
- Interact with potential grantees, teachers, and students, answering questions and directing them to appropriate information and staff members
- Work closely with QFI staff in Programs, Communications, and Operations departments
- Travel to and participate in the implementation of meetings, workshops, conferences and partner-school site visits
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge of the Arabic language and Arab World
- Comfort with and experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, establishing priorities, organizing, and managing multiple tasks
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving and critical thinking
- Previous experience in planning/coordinating events
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Arabic, area studies or a related field. Master’s degree preferred;
- At least four years of related work experience;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken Arabic at an intermediate-level or above. 2/2+ on DLPT scale, Advanced on ACTFL scale in Arabic preferable;
- Study, work, or extensive travel experience in the Arabic-speaking world;
- Knowledge of local dialect in addition to Modern Standard Arabic.
- Mostly sedentary
- 20% travel required (international and domestic)
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to the QFI Human Resources Department with the subject line “Program Officer”. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.