Bilingual Arabic-English books for children published by Maktaba and an Arabic – English football vocabulary poster created by QFI and Generation Amazing, were donated to students participating in the recent Generation Amazing football for development sports event in Houston, Texas. Our long-standing QFI partner Arabic Immersion Magnet School (AIMS) students were among the over 100 children participating in the event. The donation was made as part of a Qatar Foundation strategic partnership effort to mark the Qatar-USA Year of Culture and followed the Qatar national team’s participation in the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
The books were developed for school children by Generation Amazing and Maktaba to encourage engagement in sport and promote positive values around social inclusion, healthy living, and sustainability. “QFI is grateful to Generation Amazing for the donation of these high-quality bilingual Arabic-English books. We are excited to share them with Arabic educators and students in the US. We need more resources like these to help further the mission of schools like AIMS, who work to prepare the next generation of global leaders with bilingual backgrounds,” said QFI Programs Director, Julia Sylla.
Upon donating the books at the event, Nasser Al Khori, Generation Amazing Programs Director, said: “We are delighted to offer young children a chance to learn about the empowering values of sport and all the associated life lessons. This initiative means the legacy of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 will live on through future generations, and we are proud to be able to make a meaningful impact in the US in support of the Qatar-USA Year of Culture. Our bilingual books, produced in collaboration with Maktaba, are written by six talented authors, both nationals and current or former residents of Qatar. We believe they will help children get active and learn about all the wonderful lessons we can gain through sport.”
Sarah Champa, Founder of Maktaba, said: “As a children’s library, we are passionate about books and the valuable lessons they transmit. Collaborating with Generation Amazing on this series of children’s books that use football as an inspiration to teach powerful lessons about healthy living, developing more sustainable behaviors and social inclusion, has been inspirational. We are so thrilled to see these books getting into the hands of emerging Arabic speakers through Qatar Foundation International’s program to support Arabic language learning in the United States.”
This collection of twelve bilingual picture books were developed for school children by Generation Amazing and Maktaba Qatar to encourage engagement in sport and promote positive values around social inclusion, healthy living, and sustainability. The books, written by Qatar-based authors Maryam Ahmed Alsubaiey, Shaima AlKuwari, Fatima Bakro, Mary Francis, Basma Khatib and Johanna Handley, are aimed at three age groups – 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 years old – with three titles devoted to each.
The list of titles include:
My Happy Tummy – Written by Shayma Al Kuwari and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
Noora and the Ball – Written by Maryam Al Subaiey and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
Noora and the Secret Idea – Written by Maryam Al Subaiey and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
The Flamingo Team – Written by Maryam Al Subaiey and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
The Challenge – Written by Fatima Bakroo and Illustrated by Kris Saville
Oscar the Orxy – Written by Johanna Handley and Illustrated by Fatima Al Nesf
Oscar and the New Orxy -Written by Johanna Handley and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
Oscar and the French Fries – Written by Johanna Handley and Illustrated by Mohammed Al Suwaidi
The Sidra Tree Rains – Written by Basma Khatib and Illustrated by Reem Al Askari
The Amazing Bag – Written by Basma Khatib and Illustrated by Reem Al Askari
The Big Win – Written by Mary Francis and Illustrated by Rafia Al Abdulla
Tuttle the Turtle – Written and Illustrated by Luciana Farah
QFI and Generation Amazing also collaborated to create an educational Arabic in the Stadium infographic highlighti
QFI is also hosting Arabic Book Read Aloud events featuring the Maktaba Book Series
- Elizabeth Learning Center, August 2021
- QFI facilitated a virtual Read Aloud event with a class of 4th-grade Arabic students at Elizabeth Learning Center in Los Angeles, California. The class heard the story of Noora and the Secret Ideaand participated in a discussion exploring the book’s themes of perseverance and innovative problem-solving.
- Arabic Immersion Magnet School, September 2021
- Last month, two classes of elementary students at the Arabic Immersion Magnet School (AIMS) in Houston, TX experienced a Read Aloud of Noora and the Ball. The reading was facilitated by Mr. Hussein Pacha, AIMS Physical Education (P.E.) teacher.
- Upcoming events
- Throughout the fall, QFI will host a series of virtual Read Alouds with Arabic students across the U.S., featuring narrations by each of the book’s authors (Maryam Ahmed Alsubaiey, Shaima Al Kuwari, Fatima Bakro, Mary Francis, Basma Khatib and Johanna Handley).
- QFI has also partnered with the Arab American National Museum to feature books during their monthly Arabic-English Storytime sessions, which are held virtually.